Wednesday 18 July 2012

RIP Rajesh Khanna


Growing up in a house where your parents are diehard Rajesh Khanna fans, watching his movies was always a compulsion, whenever they were aired on TV. My mom would tell me how girls were crazy about him. My dad would tell me how he bunked school to watch his movies. As a kid, I was bored of them. But as I grew up, I fell in love with the characters he played; and more or less, the actor who played them. It was then that I understood why the man had such a huge fan following, why he was the country’s first ‘Superstar’.

As I came home today, I saw my mom glued to the television. I also know my dad would be sitting in his office, heartbroken. That when he comes home, he’d probably want to watch Anand or Amar Prem. That the first thing he’ll do when he gets into the car is play a Rajesh Khanna song. Why only him? I’m sure that there are millions around the world who’ll do that today. There is a huge list playing in my head as well. Kora Kaagaz, Zindagi Ek Safar, Pyar Diwana Hota Hai, Chingaari Koi Bhadke and many more. He is responsible for immortalizing some of Kishore Kumar’s finest songs.

May your soul rest in peace Mr. Khanna. And Thank You. For Amar Prem, Bawarchi, Aradhana, Anand, Haathi Mere Saathi, Safar, and many more.

No comments: