Monday 23 July 2012

Song Of The Week


Nothing like a good song from Aandhi to unwind after a long day. Song for the week is Is Mod Se Jaate Hain. Now if I start raving and ranting about Aandhi’s music, I won’t stop really stop! Its really difficult for me to keep this post short, but I’ll try my best.

Aandhi was about a husband and wife who meet after 9 years of separation. The song is used in a flashback in the film. As a kid, I could not make anything out of the song. It was only that I saw the film (and grew up a bit) that I could comprehend it. The best part of the song is the alaap at the beginning. Lata Mangeshkar’s honey dipped voice churning out the perfect sur (and look at Suchitra Sen! As beautiful as ever). R.D.Burman excels at it once again. And Gulzar. What do I say? There was and there’ll never be another one like him.

After the song was composed, Gulzar looked at Pancham who was deep in thoughts. Suddenly, he asked Gulzar, “What is ‘Nasheman’?” He thought it referred to some place where the road leads to. Even when the song was being shot, Sanjeev Kumar had the same question! So for all those who didn’t know, nasheman means ghosla or a nest.

* Aandhi ki tarah udkar ek raah guzarti hai
Sharmaati hui koi kadmon se utarti hai
Inn reshmi rahon mein ik raah to woh hogi
Tum tak jo pahunchti hai, is mod se jaate hain *

Song: Is Mod Se Jaate Hain
Film: Aandhi
Music: R.D.Burman
Lyrics: Gulzar
Vocals: Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar





No comments: