Saturday 28 July 2012

Don't get high on this Cocktail


Okay, I know I didn’t post any movie yesterday. But today, I’ll tell you about a movie that you shouldn’t watch – Cocktail. I saw it the other day and by the end of it, I’d pulled out most of my hair. I’m glad that atleast I didn’t waste my money watching it at a theatre (Piracy zindabad!).


The movie consists of three characters:
1.       Good Girl (Meera/Diana Penty) – You know she’s good coz she doesn’t drink and prays regularly. (That’s what the film says)
2.       Bad Girl (Veronica/Deepika Padukone) – She’s the bad one coz she parties, gets drunk. (The film says this as well. And also tries to tell you why she’s so. Troubled childhood and all)
3.       Loser boy (Gautam/Saif Ali Khan) – One look at him and you know he’s a jerk. (Now, I’m saying this!)

Good girl is married to bad boy (Randeep Hooda) who takes all her money and throws her out on the street. Bad girl invites good girl to stay over in her house. A few days later, loser boy also joins them in the house. Loser boy and bad girl hook up. To take the story from here, Loser boy’s Punjabi mummy (Dimple Kapadia) enters the picture along with his cute uncle (Boman Irani). Oh! Did I mention the story is set in London? Don’t ask me why. It wouldn’t have made any difference if it were set here. But looks like they had a lot of money to splurge.

Coming back to the story, Punjabi mummy is haath dho ke picche after loser boy to get married. Loser boy panics and tells her that he loves the good girl. An excellent choice since mummy would never approve of the bad girl. So loser boy and good girl pretend to be in love and nautanki karte karte, end up falling in love (Blah). But surprise surprise! Bad girl also falls for loser boy (Seriously?). Good girl being the good girl is willing to step aside. And bad girl is also willing to change into sati-savitri for the mummy. So now what does loser boy do? Of course he marries the good girl (It’s a Hindi film, duh!). And they all live happily ever after.

Moral of the story: To get married, you have to be a good girl. Even if its loser boy who doesn’t deserve you at all, YOU have to be a good girl. Drinking and partying is a no-no. Wearing short dresses is a taboo. You may be willing to turn into sati savitri but it’d be too late by then.

No comments: