Monday 13 August 2012

Song Of The Week


I haven’t forgotten that it’s a Monday today. Song of the week is Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo. Now there are many versions of this song. The original one by Farida Khannum, another by Asha Bhosle, not to mention the innumerable trashy remixes. The former one is very ghazal-ish, mehfil-ish (Of course. Raag Yaman Kalyan never fails). The latter version is also quite similar, only the instruments used are modern. Or lets say that it is a digitized version of the original!

But the one I’m going to post here today is a beautiful recreation of the original. Music by Shankar Tucker is very east-meets-west while vocals by Rohini Ravada are a feast to the ears. I’d once heard it on the radio while driving and though I’d only heard the last few lines, it’d stuck with me due to her sheer singing prowess. And I didn’t know who it was! But after relentless searching, I finally found it on Youtube last week! If I were to sing this song, I would have sung it exactly like this. My voice is not as good, but the style would have been similar J

P.S: Listen intently to how she sings ‘tumhe’ in the antara. Makes my heart melt!

Tum hi socho zara kyun na roke tumhe
Jaan jaati hai jab uthke jaate ho tum
Tumko apni kasam jaan-e-jaan,
Baat itni meri maan lo *

Song: Aaj Jaane Ki Zid
Music: Shankar Tucker
Lyrics: Fayyaz Hashmi
Vocals: Rohini Ravada (OST: Farida Khannum)

No comments: